Well, I need to vent a little, and here seems like the place to do it. For the past month or so, Rylie has been having trouble with her naps. It seemed like it took her a while to fall asleep when she was tired (but definitely not overtired) then would sleep for 20-3o minutes. Her naps were totally inconsistent with how long they would last. Sometimes 1 hr or a little longer, or 20 minutes. So, I thought she may be ready for just one nap. We've been trying this for about a week now. The first nap she slept 50 minutes only. Then the next day 1 hr 15 min, then 1 hr. 30 (waking up each day and then falling back asleep for the total time I wrote) Then, she went backwards and slept 1 hr. 10, 1 hr (waking up crying after 1/2 hour then falling asleep after 5 min. for another 1/2 hour) . Then yesterday, the 6th day was the worst. She woke up screaming after 30 minutes and wouldn't fall back to sleep. I ended up picking her up and she fell asleep in my arms for 45 minutes. I didn't know what to do. She has major separation anxiety and would only cry when I tried to lay her back down. So, do I sacrifice the sleep or let her sleep and maybe begin a bad habit? I ended up holding her and almost falling asleep myself. I did enjoy the time, but don't want it to become a habit since we only have less than a month together.
Then, today I planned on doing the same routine as we have the past week. Well, she was miserable. She cried the entire morning, and this is not my Rylie. I laid her down around 9:30 an then she slept for her famous 30 minutes. She woke up talking quietly so I left her in there. It started to rain and got dark, so I left her in there. She ended up falling back to sleep for another hour. She woke up crying again, though. It took about 20 minutes to console her. I think she's cried more today than all of her life combined. I fed her lunch and here we are now.
I don't know what to do. I've read all my sleep books and don't really know where to go from here. I'm worried I'll throw her circadian rhythm off, and that she'll have problems when I go back to school. I just want my happy girl back. Any suggestions are certainly welcomed!
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
The best advice I ever got was "BABIES DON'T KNOW HOW TO READ THE BOOKS". . . so just because a "sleep expert" is telling you what you should do, you are the parent and just do what you feel is right. Maybe Rylie is just in need of a little extra cuddle time and wants to nap with you? Maybe she is just going through a stage? or Maybe she is just being a pain??? Whatever the case may be, follow your heart and do what you think is best for your beautiful little girl. When Logan was little he only took about 2 30 min naps a day. He is not a big napper and he only averages about 10 hrs at night. SO unlike Hudson so loves to sleep. Maybe she just needs a little power nap. Does she seem happy and alert after her nap? If so, let it be. She might even go back to sleeping longer once her body tells her she needs more sleep. good luck and I'll see you Friday. Erin
Sorry to hear it still is not going well. Remember, that a week may seem like a long time, but you always say, "it takes 20 days to make a routine," and our students still forget to move their magnet on day 100. Some people might just need a little more time to adjust. If your problem continues, you may consider calling your doctor or nurse and asking for suggestions. I agree with Erin, reading enough books is sure to compound the problem because their advice is contradictory and their ideas are meant to help a wide range of people, not necessarily YOUR baby. You are a great mom. Just don't get too discouraged.
When in doubt, call Melissa!
Hey sweetie! Sorry to hear you are going through this frustration!! Erin and Julie are right about the books and I agree that you are a fantastic mom and that you should listen to your gut. One q...are you napping her in the afternoon? Every parent I know who has a 1-nap-a-dayer naps their kids in the afternoon. Maybe that will help? Otherwise, I'm sure it will all work out and call if you need ANYTHING!
Hey, Sharis,
She does go for a nap after lunch: around 12:30- 1:00.... Any other advice?
Kelly, you are doing great! Don't ever doubt that!! I completly agree with everyone else about the books! Also, your other friend was right about it taking time to get use to a routine. Out of the blue for a week and a half Maddie was just waking up in the middle of the night 3 to 4 times. I thought I was going to pull my hair out. However, for a week now she's been back to her normal sleep schedule and doesnt wake up at all. Who on earth knows what that was all about, but sometimes things just happen and we will never know the answers. Be patient and never doubt your instincts!! Your a great mom!
Post a Comment